Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DAY 3 - WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU POTASSIUM, MAKE POTASSIUM-ADE?

People tell you to make lemonade when life gives you lemons. But what do you do when life gives you the entire lemon truckload? Logan and Leila both had a rough morning on day 3. Leila's oxygen was up and down all morning. Logan's potassium was too high and he required medicine to bring it down. As we entered the room where our babies are kept with various other pre-mature babies, we notice the sound of alerts and the flash of indicators warning the nurses that something needs to be adjusted. We stood there watching for 20 to 30 minutes, not knowing what to do other than try to stay out of the way. Every chance we got, we talked to them and prayed over them. God is good because by the end of the day, Leila was doing better and Logan's potassium was returning to acceptable levels.

When we returned at the RMH, there was a bag of stuff in our room. Included in this bag were two hand woven blankets for the babies made by a sweet lady at a local church. Her information was attached and I plan to contact her in the future. It is pretty amazing how some people do things like that for people that they will never see or hear from. My list of people I am indebted to continues to grow.

That afternoon we visited our little ones again. This time the nurse indicated that they would need blood transfusions soon. I was ready to donate on the spot, but that wouldn't work because they needed to check my blood type and make sure there weren't any viruses and such. So we signed the paperwork for my babies to receive someone elses donated blood. I'll never know who they are but I am thankful for them. Even if my blood can't be used for my babies, I still wanted to give some to help someone else.


 This is my sweetheart Leila Kate. This picture was taken just a few minutes after she was born.

This is my boy Logan. He looks pretty comfortable.

That night we received a little lemonade, so to speak. Amie spoke to one of our friends from church who has a 5 year old boy named Cole. We work with Cole in kids church and absolutely adore him. He is one of those kids that has more personality than an entire room full of adults. When Cole's mom told him that my wife had her babies early his response was

"They were done baking?"
So Cole wanted to pray for them immediately. "God, since you were ready for them to come out of their oven, please keep them safe. And please give them a cute nurse for when I come to visit the babies."
To which Cole's mom replied, "I don't think they will let you go in to see them."
Cole's plan was foolproof, "I'll just tell them I am a preacher because preacher's can go anywhere. I can't wait until they can come over and spend the night so I can play with them."

1 comment:

  1. My name is Lily and I know God brought me to this blog to encourage you. My son was born at 25 weeks a little over 2 years ago so I am familiar with the journey you are on. My heart and prayers goes out to you and your precious babies. You are right in saying that they are in God's hands and that is one of the greatest comforts...He made them and can continue growing them right were they are. From my experience, I want to say 2 things. First always remember that your hope comes from the Lord. You can not depend on the drs. and nurses to continue to give you hope as the days go on. It is a roller coaster ride, and on the down days you must press into your Father hands and let Him hold you and your sweet children.
    The second thing I would say is to pray specifically and ask those around you to be specific in thier prayers each day. And pray expectantly. This us what true faith is! Actually believing that God can change what is happening despite what the drs. are telling you. This was the hardest thing I ever did for my son, but God never failed me!
    Remind yourself that even though you can't be there every minute, God's angels are there holding those babies very close. I imagined them cradling my son, singing sweet songs and giving him the comfort that I desperately wanted to give him, but couldn't.
    I'm praying right now that you have the faith to move mountains and that you have drs. and nurses that can help you understand what is going on and will be going on for the next few months.
    As a side note, my little guy came home 3 months and 3 1/2 weeks later just like he was a newborn :-) we got him in therapy within a month and he had continued to catch up. Every preemie is different and I'm sure you will hear tons of stories of hope. Hold onto those because they can get you through a lot. I will continue to pray and look forward to watching these precious angels grow strong!

    ReplyDelete