Thursday, May 3, 2012

NICU-ITIS

NICUITIS (nik-you-eye-tis) - severe mental and physical exhaustion caused by extended stays in the newborn intensive care unit (NICU). That's what the nurse practitioner called what Amie and I are experiencing. I thought it was pretty funny.

Leila is doing a little better today. Still no word on exactly what was/is wrong. They brought her down on her ventilator rate and oxygen was almost back down to 21%. She was doing ok tonight.

Logan got to wear his first shirt today. Actually, it looks more like a karate gi than anything, except perhaps a bath robe. They started weaning him off his incubator so he has to wear clothes now. I got to hold him tonight. It was good.

Ready for karate lessons
The most eventful part of tonight was getting stuck in the elevator. We take the elevator from the fifth floor to the first and when we got to the first floor, the door wouldn't open. We had to use the emergency phone. The elevator decided to go up to the second floor and the door opened fine. We decided it would be a good idea to find another elevator. Note to self: don't use the M elevator on the far right.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on the NICUITIS. It is so good to here that they are doing better. God had you guys on my mind at three this morning and I spent time praying for you. Here is a scripture that I found that I found comfort in. (God said,) "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." You are definitely going through rivers of difficulty.
    Lifting you up!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete